Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Teacups

This has been a difficult summer with not only with downsizing & building a new home but also with my 96 year old mother becoming ill & not able to living on her own anymore. So my sisters & myself together with my mom applied for personal care home placement & we moved her into her new home this past Friday & that will be a whole new blog post. When us four sisters began the process of cleaning out mom's apartment, one of our tasks was to clean out & divide the contents of the china cabinet. There were 12 real china tea cups so we each received 3 which we will enjoy for a while & then pass on to our children & in my case, to my 3 granddaughters. When my sister showed mom her teacups, mom was able to tell her a story about each one.So I asked mom from whom she had received these.
Many years ago, giving a china teacup & saucer to a special friend was considered a very special gift.
The above teacup was given to my mom from her good neighbour & friend - Audrey H.
This one with the violets was given by my Aunt Annie, mom's sister.
This one was given to mom from a little boy in her Sunday School class - Stan W.   To this day, Mom & Stan have always had a special friendship. Stan is a photographer & loves to catch mom in his camera lens!
I have always loved the uniqueness of this cup with the three legs & curly handle. And yes, mom did use the china cups. She loved to serve tea on her vine covered veranda on Talbot Street using these special dishes. Many a summer's afternoon was spent having tea & homebaked goodies, good conversation while enjoying the warmth of the summer season.
My dream now is to enjoy tea with my mom & granddaughters under the gazebo just outside mom's room, sometime next summer, creating new memories with these special teacups.

1 comment:

Edna said...

Let me know so I can bring my teacups and granddaughters also!!