Monday, October 8, 2012

The Butterchurn

This butterchurn belonged to my mom & I remember, as a young girl, that I would often make butter as one of my chores. My sisters & I would take turns turning the handle around & around & at the start it seemed like it would take forever to make butter. I would churn & churn & then finally the cream would turn from smooth & creamy to small lumps that would get larger & then suddenly there would appear creamy yellow butter & it was done. Butter churning would happen at least once a week when I was growing up & sometimes, if there was an abundance of cream, my mother would get out a large wooden butter churn. Can't say I miss the taste of homemade butter, I prefer today's version of "storebought."
I gifted this butterchurn to my cousin, Diana, who is going to add it to her antique kitchen collection. Maybe we'll make butter when I'll go to Ontario to visit her.

1 comment:

md said...

Wow, that takes me back... We never had a churn quite like this, but we had different kinds at varying times and also often just got to shake the cream in one gallon glass jars until the magic happened. When my daughter was in kindergarten we got raw milk from a local farmer for a while, and I remember taking some of the skimmed cream to make butter with her class to eat on a loaf of homemade bread... Wonder if any of those kids even remember that!