Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sketches of Spring Quilt

 As the name of my blog indicates, this is where I write about fitting pieces together & lately that has been more about family & gardening, which right now is the major part of my life. However, in between, I have taken time, when it's too hot to garden, to fit some quilting in. Actually, I feel my day is not quite complete without  a few minutes of sewing if that doesn't work then just touching & playing with my quilting fabric can work too!! I think some of you quilters out there can understand that statement!!
Last year in spring, I bought a quilting magazine with a pattern & fabric that really caught my eye. The pattern is "Sketches of Spring" using the "Illuminating Spring Collection" by Stephanie Marrott. I loved this pattern & especially the butterflies & the border of flowers. I tend not to quilt with florals very much, using more abstracts & occasionally small florals. I searched online & found several shops that were selling the collection & they were all from the US so didn't order at that time even though I have shopped on EBay from the US with success. When my cousin & I went east last summer, we stopped at a quilt shop in Stratford, ON. and I saw the fabric there & the saleslady was very helpful & printed out the pattern with the list of the fabric I needed so I purchased it. In January I pieced the top & I quilted it in June & now just finished the hand sewing on the border. It's a smaller quilt - 56" x 56" - &  is displayed on a railing in my entrance.
I have several more pieces that I have been working on & will blog about another time.

3 comments:

Edna said...

Lovely quilt - you did a fantastic job. Will look for it next time I'm at your house.

Sonya said...

Beautiful!

Kukum Quilts said...

Lillian! Imagine my joy at stumbling across your blog today. I am thrilled to see all your exciting projects. I'm a brand new quilter and am looking forward to taking some courses in the fall. I hope I see you about in the quilter's circles. Great looking projects! and I love your garden photos.